This is your opportunity to share your story of witness & service in the Greenbrier District.Read More →
- Fear and TremblingThis week’s featured book: Gather Us In by Angela D. Schaffner Today’s Reflection As we lead Bible studies, we need to carve out time for our own faith practices. Faith is a lifelong process of learning, shaping, and reshaping our understandings. Paul urges us to “work out your own salvation, with fear and trembling” (Phil. […]
- Social HealthThis week’s featured book: Gather Us In by Angela D. Schaffner Today’s Reflection Most mental health problems intensify in the face of social isolation, so the social nature of the small-group experience can be both spiritually and emotionally transformative. When we avoid relationships, we can only imagine and guess at what people in our lives […]
- Spiritual TransformationThis week’s featured book: Gather Us In by Angela D. Schaffner Today’s Reflection Every group dynamic differs. Groups have people in them, which makes them complex, frustrating, fascinating, and exhausting at times. Yet groups are also deeply rich, rewarding, and full of love and opportunities for emotional and spiritual transformation. We can best experience the […]
- Black father prepares sons for racial injustice“I have no positive to give you,” one son says. In a commentary, the Rev. Byron Thomas calls on white fathers to teach their sons about racial injustice, too.
- Nurse leads Korean church’s vaccine ministryThanks to its Healthy Church Team, Emmaus United Methodist Church in Richmond, Virginia, attains 100% vaccination rate.
- Connecting with people through prayerThe Rev. Jacqui King, a longtime United Methodist leader, found a new ministry praying with strangers. Her experience can help people reconnect with God and each other as pandemic restrictions lift.
- Groups help alleviate hunger in ZimbabweUMW, The Nyadire Connection and Harare East District combine efforts to assist vulnerable families, older adults and theology students.
- Cicadas show up for church, testing clergyThis year’s massive ‘Brood X’ population of the flying, droning insects has in-spired sermons but also caused pastors to alter outdoor church services.
- 2021 Illinois Great Rivers Annual ConferenceJune 11-12, online.
- Churches have role in overcoming vaccine hesitancyPeople mistrustful of other institutions may still trust their faith leaders to address their concerns about getting a COVID-19 vaccination.
- Former bishop known for 'reconciling spirit'United Methodists remember James E. Dorff for his role in the formation of what is now the Rio Texas Conference, his leadership in a variety of ministries and ability to bring people together. He died June 7.
- Church must tackle its real estate crisisThe United Methodist Church has significant property holdings, but lack of a strategy for handling them poses a financial threat to the denomination.
- 2021 Alabama-West Florida Annual ConferenceJune 6-9, virtual.